Friday, November 10, 2006

Elections - Horses - A new scanner


Its been a busy week. On Saturday I went horse-back riding. I had completely forgotten how to do this (I think I've only done it once or maybe twice before). When the guy leading us down the trail found out I was from Texas, he said "Texas?! Shouldn't you be leading me?" Clearly I need work on my Texas credentials. So I might should get some more practice on the sly before going back with more people from the department - just so they can see what a bona-fide Texan I really am.

Then on Wednesday I participated in our representative democracy . From a state where most offices almost inevitably go to Republicans to one where they almost inevitably go to Democrats - in a way, my vote is probably as meaningless in both cases, but here I get the satisfaction of seeing some people I vote for win.

And speaking of winning, it looks like the government is no longer monopolized. Now we have Pepsi AND Coke. Whoo.

Cynicism aside, I admit to having been pretty excited to hear the results of the election. This time two years ago I was feeling pretty depressed. If I allow myself to think about it, though, I suspect that the reasons leading a lot of people to vote the republicans out of office aren't the really important ones. I wonder why this didn't happen in 2004. Were people just slow to come to their senses? Or are they more concerned with a single Republican senator's pederastic proclivities than with invasion, torture, and domestic spying? I won't complain about the results, but I worry about whether they came about for the right reasons.

Back to more mundane affairs - I now have a scanner. I got it for free from a faculty member in my department. Pictures to come. Maybe.

1 comment:

Miss Anthrope said...

The war has been skillfully crafted into a "if you're with us you're American, if you're not, you're unpatriotic" joke. I don't think people (the masses anyway) will ever wake up and realize it's just a huge scare tactic to distract people from the problems on the homefront. America has and always will be a war monger country... we get antsy (sp?) if we're not wreaking havoc on people somewhere, somehow.

And yes, you're right in assuming I'm not of Republican leanings.

-Shree :o)

P.S. Nice blog, hope you write a lot of good stuff here!