Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving in Montreal

I just got back last night from a three-day thanksgiving weekend in Montreal. Me, Meg, and some other colleagues drove there on Thursday morning. In principle, I think the trip should take about six hours. However, your ever-reliable narrator got a little confused --- and ended up going the wrong direction (i.e. south) on I-91 for, oh, about an hour.

Still, the drive was pleasant. I got to see Vermont, the 'green mountain state', which is indeed both green and mountainous.

Montreal was terrific - the food was great. The place we stayed was in little Italy, and the coffee there was amazing. I had a chance to try poutine, a sort of Quebecois version of chili fries, except with gravy instead of chili. Yum. On Saturday night we met Meg's friends at a local sports bar to watch the Canadiens (that's French for 'Canadians') play Philadelphia (that's hockey, by the way).

What else. Oh yeah - Montreal drivers. Wow. I've never seen anything like it. In the span of a single weekend, I saw at least three people driving backwards (in reverse) down crowded, one-way city streets - one guy went straight through an intersection. In reverse.

I'll post pictures in the next few days. Right now I have to catch up on my grading and head to school. Last month of classes before Christmas. I'll be home in less than a month.

No comments: